7 Tips to Keep Your Clothes Lasting Longer
Here are 7 tips that will help keep your favorite garments ready to wear, longer.
- Allow perfumes, lotions, deodorants, antiperspirants, and other toiletries to dry before you get dressed. These products can contain ingredients that can cause discoloration.
- Bring a garment in for professional cleaning as soon as possible after becoming soiled. Stains and soil left too long can be impossible to remove and will shorten the life of your garment.
- Don’t iron freshly stained or soiled clothes. The heat may set some stains.
- Discuss any spills or soiled spots with your dry cleaner. Be sure to point out light-colored or invisible spills, such as those from soft drinks, fruit juices or white wine. The sugars and/or acids in these will turn into a brown-colored stain if not treated properly.
- Protect your garments from excessive perspiration, especially silks, because it can cause many dyes to discolor.
- Have matching pieces cleaned together, including pants/skirts and matching jackets, so that normal color fade will be uniform and pieces will still match over time.
- Protect your garments from prolonged exposure to direct sunlight or strong artificial light. Keep in mind that even indoor lighting can affect some dyes.